Sunday, May 20, 2012

Neil Gaiman's Advice for Young Artists, 2012 Commencement Address, University of the Arts in Philadelphia

"If you don’t know it’s impossible, it’s easier to do. And because nobody’s done it before, they haven’t made up rules to stop anyone doing that again." ~Neil Gaiman
I don't have many heroes, and I get the feeling that Neil would be intensely uncomfortable wearing that hat, so I won't he's one of them. Except that he is. Just don't tell him.


There's a transcript floating around, but it's not 100% accurate and I prefer to let the man's words and delivery stand on its own.


Wiser and more accurate words about a life pursuing the arts, you would be hard-pressed to write or speak.


From his blog: "Trust me, I'm a Doctor * (Honorary, of the Fine Arts)"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages to Type is a blog about books, writing and literary culture (with the occasional digression into coffee and the care and feeding of giant robots).