Thursday, February 11, 2010

The Annual Report

One year ago today, this was a different place.  At the top of the screen was a sepia-toned picture of my desk.  Yes, there was a typewriter; there's always a typewriter...

From
The first post was a disclaimer that included (among other things) the warning that "Novelty is in the eye of the beholder" followed by a list of safety precautions to take in order to avoid getting novel in your eyes. (because we all know that both novels and novelty can be volatile at times and it's all fun and games until someone loses an eye).

I've talked precious little about my novel aside from a snippet here or passing mention there.  Am I superstitious of talking about a project underway?  Maybe just a teensy bit. (throws coffeegrounds over shoulder and spins widdershins in chair.)   I've expanded things a bit since those early days to include technology which means... e-Books.  It took me all of three posts to mention e-Books for the first time.  Bearing in mind that in the early days since this was just an elaborate bit of technology to aid and abet my tendency to talk to myself, so I wasn't tagging every post, there are probably more.

In fact, my top (non-random) topics were Writing Tips and eBooks on an almost even footing with the tag "Random thoughts on..." (which is essentially meaningless).  Like most writers, the eBook frightens and fascinates me because as Kettering said "Of course I'm interested in the future, it's where I intend to spend the rest of my life."

While I don't pretend to have necessarily posted daily, there have been over 365 posts in the last 365 days, which I'm a bit proud of.  Among these were 43 posts on eBooks, 41 "Random thoughts on...", 40 Writing Tips, 22 Copyright musings, and 12 posts railing against Censorship.  In compiling those numbers I realized that I'm in danger of losing my blogger cred since there were only 4 Rants and but 1 lonely post tagged as "sarcasm".

I'll try to do better next year.

I started this blog because my head tends to fill up with "stuff" that has nothing to do with what I'm trying to write.  This is where I put it because it's nice to be able to keep an eye on those things -- you never know what mischief they'll wreak if you leave them unchaperoned...

In the coming year I want to do more book reviews, focusing as always on the How To Write and related sections of the bookstore.  Most writers generate those books eventually and I think that too little attention is paid to them outside of the circle of aspiring writers.  A reader's guide would have been helpful for me at an early stage.

I'm also going to revive my YouTube account if it's still there and if not, I'll create a new one.  I talk to interesting people all the time and I have a visual arts streak a mile wide and it occurs to me that I should be carrying a camcorder with me on some of these outings.

So... Is there anything you would like to see more of?  Or see less of?  Do you have a special request or idea?  Or do you have an idea for a post and a yen to write it yourself and just need somewhere to post it?

Post a comment here or drop me a line at pages2type@gmail.com and tell me all about it!

Thanks for reading!  Thanks for a great year!

-Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages to Type is a blog about books, writing and literary culture (with the occasional digression into coffee and the care and feeding of giant robots).