Sunday, July 19, 2009

Sunday Comics

I was paging through the comics online this morning and realized just how much I miss Calvin & Hobbes. It's not that there aren't any laughs to be had in the comics anymore. There are a lot of very gifted artists and comedy writers getting their stuff out there online these days... but none of them are Bill Watterson. (In their defense, I think most of them realize this much as I realize that I'm no Cormac McCarthy.) I miss my daily dose of Calvin & Hobbes. The insightful look inside the inner world of a little boy and his only (stuffed) friend was like watching little snippets of my inner world play out each morning in the newspaper. A little boy who couldn't quite get his reality to sync with the world around him, who sometimes got lost inside his own head and had trouble finding his way out again... it all just sounded so daggum familiar. Sigh.

2 comments:

  1. Love it! I don't think anyone is too old for a wagon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Looking For Calvin & Hobbes: The Unconventional Story of Bill Watterson and His Revolutionary Comic Strip" by Nevin Martell comes out in October and will be a must-read for me.

    ReplyDelete

Pages to Type is a blog about books, writing and literary culture (with the occasional digression into coffee and the care and feeding of giant robots).