Friday, February 4, 2011

Generating Ideas :: Something from Nothing, Part One

As I near the end of the first draft of Howard Carter, I'm already noodling with the next idea in the back of my mind.  I've been jotting down new character and story ideas for the past week or so and preparing a reading list for the next novel as well as preparing myself mentally to begin revisions on the one that's been maturing in the desk drawer.

Which might explain why though I talk a lot about how ideas germinate and how to avoid writer's block and how to get unstuck if you can't, I spend precious little time talking about how to get started in the first place.

Getting started isn't something that I find difficult; usually stopping is the hard part.  

So I don't tend to think about it much.

However, since this blog is about what's on my mind, it might be worthwhile to think about it a bit more than I usually do.  Not only what am I going to do next, but why I chose that idea and how I went from abit of ink on a coffee stained napkin to the beginnings of a story...

Though I have some chapters of Howard Carter to get on the page before I can really focus on the next novel, so here are some past thoughts on the subject, hand-picked for Your Reading Pleasure:
Writer's Block Redux  (Or: I get by with a little help from my monsters)
Writer's Block (The Illustrated Website Edition)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages to Type is a blog about books, writing and literary culture (with the occasional digression into coffee and the care and feeding of giant robots).