Friday, February 25, 2011

Happy Blogthday?

I'm such a guy!  I went and forgot my blog's anniversary. And now my little corner of the internet is entering its terrible twos... which I guess means that this year it get to throw tantrums and occasionally break things.

Seriously.  How much fun is this going to be?

Last year, I decided to share my work with the world as I was writing it and learned a thing or two at the same time.  In some small way, my zany romp through the world of science fiction has struck a chord with readers.  Someone sent me a note to tell me she read it to her kids.  A man in Nebraska started telling people reading his blog that Howard was a good kid and worth following through his adventures.

I also discovered that happiness was convincing a fake science institute that my mad scientist character was worthy of a personal letter of recommendation.  Then fooling Google into bumping your imaginary rare book repository above the real ones in the search listings.

I'm not sure how I feel about that last one, to be honest.

I also put my face in space.  It will be transmitted into outer space on the last space shuttle mission.  It's not too late, you have until 7 March if you want to join me sending my mug into the void.

The coming year has a lot to live up to.


Simplify, Simplify, SimplifyHave you ever seen a blog with an image in the background where it wasn't distracting?  I never liked the background images in my blog layout, so I've done away with them.  The entire layout is simpler and cleaner and that's the way it's going to stay.

At least until I change my mind again.

Post Haste

This is not a blog that has a lot of posting rules.  I'm not making a living off your pageviews, and I don't really post unless I have both the time and something to say.  This is one of the many reasons why there aren't any ads.  The other reason is because even though I advocate treating writing as a business, this is where I come to write just for fun.


I want to keep it that way.  This will remain the place where I come to decant in the late hours when my brain gets too full.  When the night gets dark and deep, these are still the pages I have to type before I sleep...

However, now that there's a sizable archive to draw from, once in awhile I will start posting older pieces and essays that I don't want to get lost and don't want to cannibalize for a new post.  I'll try to do this on Fridays, but you might want to reference that earlier paragraph where I mentioned that I wanted to keep things free-flowing and fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages to Type is a blog about books, writing and literary culture (with the occasional digression into coffee and the care and feeding of giant robots).