Friday, August 19, 2011

Sir Kenneth Robinsion on paying off the creativity deficit...

On Monday, I talked about the diminishing creativity of the American child and a local effort to do something about that.  Or at least a part of it. 

This video was recommended to me at a meeting on Monday where we were discussing what it would mean to create a community writing center on the east side of Tacoma. An under-served, under-resourced community if ever there was one.


At risk of this becoming the "TED is Cool" blog, I'm going to post two more TED videos, making it three in one week.  I trust you will bear with me.


In a 2006 TED Talk, Sir Kenneth Robinson talked about the death of creativity and the under-appreciation of the arts in a global culture that puts a higher value on skills and talents that are of use to industry whilst stripping away the parts of the child that society values less... 




This past year, Sir Kenneth returned to TED to finish his speech (as he puts it) positing a new model for learning.  Replacing a fast food model of education with an agricultural model to grow creative young minds.  He makes some fascinating points, some of them perhaps a trifle utopian.  I would certainly love to see a community that could carry this off...  


1 comment:

  1. I am quite the fan of Ken Robinson's ideas based on some of the clips I have seen. I have heard mixed reviews of some of his books, but have been meaning to check them out. I would also quite like to see a model where someone attempted to put some of those ideas into practice. I am not sure how feasible it would be since so many in the education sector see it as a means to an end - if not a pathway to employment, then a pathway to higher education. In which case, any education reform would need to be accompanied by changes to what universities look for in applicants and changes to what employers look for in entry level candidates. That's such a huge culture shift to implement, I struggle to wrap my brain around it.

    ReplyDelete

Pages to Type is a blog about books, writing and literary culture (with the occasional digression into coffee and the care and feeding of giant robots).