Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Random Thoughts On a Tuesday...

Some random things that have occurred to me on a cloudy Bastille Day that have nothing to do with Bastille Day.

Of Weddings & Shakespeare... The wedding was great. I was really nervous and sort of fumbled my way through the first stanza of the ceremony and then found my stride. It was a theme wedding so a lot of Shakespeare was in play. I sometimes wonder what the man would think of the many uses his words get put toward. A learned friend assured me that Will probably also re-purposed part of Sonnet 116 as a wedding toast at least once in his life. I find the idea reassuring.

Top Ten Lists The Times has published their top-ten list of best book sites. Those are truly some amazing sites. Most of them I was aware of, but one stands out as something I should have known about but didn't and takes its place at the top of my current list of "I can't believe I didn't think of that first". Bookcrossing. It's very much like geo-caching. Except you're stashing books rather than stuff in an ammo can. (Follow the links if you don't know what I'm talking about.) Bookcrossing is probably the best idea I've heard of in quite some time. Can't believe I didn't know about it before the Times cued me in. Oh well, it's a big internet. Just remember that books have their dignity and when they are leant, tend not to return of their own accord. (I think Umberto Eco said that or something like it...)

Keyboards... I periodically get mad and modify my keyboard by pulling out keys (especially when I keep fatfingering the numlock key on the tenkey pad) or using masking tape to modify what the keys do. Am I the only one that does this? It's very therapeutic. I sometimes take pictures of it when I do that. Maybe that would be a good "Wordless Wednesday" post. Hmmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages to Type is a blog about books, writing and literary culture (with the occasional digression into coffee and the care and feeding of giant robots).