Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Dialogue

Since I find myself gifted by the company of the erudite band of people in my general digital vicinity, I was hoping you could help me with a hole I've found in my memory regarding a theater company and a play they performed. The trouble is, it's a really short play. I saw it some time ago, probably nine or ten years ago in either Chicago or Milwaukee. It's a short one-act play and was part of a night where many of them were performed in succession. I'm trying to track it down. Trouble is, I can't think of the name of it. It was was performed by a man and a woman interacting in the following manner...
M: "Tenuous overture" F: "Noncommital Reply" M: "Hopeful Comment" F: "Encouraging response" M: "Suggestive comment" F: "Affronted objection!" M: "Furious Backpedaling" F: "Stony silence!" M: "Nervous Laughter."
And so forth. The entire play was quite short but it was entirely about the tone of voice and delivery since there was no real dialogue, just leading two-word "writerly" descriptions of what was being suggested and acted out by the players. It was a great little play, and I do mean a little play. I remember snippets and bits but can't find the play, the playwright or the theater company that performed it. Google's no help at all. Anyone out there heard of this? Did I imagine it?

2 comments:

  1. I've heard of it. It's a hoot. I think I may have heard it on the Dr. Demento show many years ago, so you may want to ask here:

    http://groups.google.com/groups/rec.music.dementia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dr Demento? That would not have occurred to me. I'll check it out, Kevin, thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Pages to Type is a blog about books, writing and literary culture (with the occasional digression into coffee and the care and feeding of giant robots).