Saturday, April 25, 2009

Earth Week...

For Earth Week I removed a good-sized section of my lawn. Why we spend that much time and resources cultivating vast swaths of a lush but otherwise useless crop is beyond me. So I'm slowly removing it and replacing it with gardens. Flowers yes, but mostly food. If I must water and feed something; by golly I'm gonna eat it. Sunday's going to be bright and sunny, so go out there and get your hands dirty. Finish up the last day of Earth Week by joining me in the anti-lawn crusade. Learn more here and here.

2 comments:

  1. Amen to that!! Out of curiosity, what are you planning to plant?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Essentially it is/will be a kitchen garden. I transplanted some of the herbs from the pottager garden out back and added several new herbs and starts of squashes, beans, peas, lettuce, spinach and other leafy greens which I got going in my little front porch "greenhouse".

    ReplyDelete

Pages to Type is a blog about books, writing and literary culture (with the occasional digression into coffee and the care and feeding of giant robots).