Thursday, April 23, 2009

Raspberries...

I used to get in trouble for blowing raspberries in science class (and elsewhere) not because of the content being taught, mind you, I just liked making rude noises.

I'm a boy, it's chromosomal.

This morning, the following headline made me realize that all those science teachers owed to me an apology for interrupting my important research: "Galaxy's centre tastes of raspberries and smells of rum, say astronomers -- The hunt for chemicals in deep space that could seed life on other planets has yielded a large, fruity molecule..." ~ www.Guardian.co.uk

The money quote has to be the vaguely embarrassed astronomer the Guardian called up to quiz over this odd revelation: "It does happen to give raspberries their flavour, but there are many other molecules that are needed to make space raspberries," and here I thought there was a nougaty center...

Oh, and I double-checked, the story isn't dated April first. It's not the jetlag either, I looked and it's still there. Hrm. There's a Hugo Award in these scientists' future. Space Raspberries From the Centre of the Universe!

Douglas Adams would be so proud...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages to Type is a blog about books, writing and literary culture (with the occasional digression into coffee and the care and feeding of giant robots).