Friday, April 3, 2009

Very proper British zombies, I'm sure...

"So much of Austen is about the unmentionable — about using wit and good manners to cover up nasty things like sex and money. So why not have one of those unmentionable things be zombies?" -Read the Time Magazine interview with the author
This book is causing quite a stir... Does this book make your "Must Read" list? Is it a travesty, a parody or a brilliant attempt to remake a classic novel into something kids will want to read? Or is it something in between? Leave your reactions in comments!

2 comments:

  1. I don't know that it is on my "Must Read" list so much as it is on my "Oh, I Should Read That Someday Because It Looks Fun But Probably Never Will Unless Someone Hands It To Me And Says 'Read This!!' Because There Are Books I'd Rather Read First" list.

    I have no problem with stories like this. I admit, I have come up with stranger "what if" scenarios involving books and films when in a sleep-deprived, caffeine powered state. I find them intriguing and, usually, enjoyable. I only hope the book is achieving at least some success on its own merit rather than purely due to the hype of zombies existing in Hertfordshire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, since it's distributed by Chronicle Books (www.chroniclebooks.com) it must be fantastic. :)

    ReplyDelete

Pages to Type is a blog about books, writing and literary culture (with the occasional digression into coffee and the care and feeding of giant robots).