Friday, October 9, 2009

TED Talks -- Erin McKean Redefines the Dictionary

I just referenced this lady and her TED talk in a comment on someone else's post over on Facebook and I thought I'd share it more widely because this is one of the most beautiful speeches on the English language I can readily think of. If you're not familiar with Erin Mc...Kean, you should familiarize yourself with her. You really owe it to yourself. I'm pretty fussy about language but her enthusiasm and her arguments are really difficult to reject.
"Love makes things real -- If you love a word use it, that makes it real, being in the dictionary is an artificial distinction."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages to Type is a blog about books, writing and literary culture (with the occasional digression into coffee and the care and feeding of giant robots).