Monday, March 2, 2009

QWERTY Love: Typewriters Endure In a Digital Age

Heard it on NPR this morning. "Wallace Stegner felt electric typewriters and computers went too fast. He needed the mulling time of a manual, the slower ritual of rolling in the paper, poising fingers over the keys.." Obviously I'm not anti-computer, and I would never prepare a manuscript on my typewriter. But there's just something about the clack-clack-clack-DING! that lets me know without a doubt that I'm writing something. The rubber platen catching the page as I feed it into the machine, the force of the fingers against the key... writing used to be such a visceral experience, a worthy heir to Voltaire's quill. Sigh... ----- Photo by Me

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages to Type is a blog about books, writing and literary culture (with the occasional digression into coffee and the care and feeding of giant robots).