Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Scottie Potter and the Endless Influenza

Whether it's the pallor in that candlelit video post or simply because my posts have been less than voluble of late, people are starting to cotton to the fact that I've been ill.

This flu (or whatever the heck it is) has swept through the college where I work, wreaking havoc in the student body and most especially the faculty and staff who think they're getting over it only to be struck down yet again.

You would think antibodies would be good for something.

It's been so bad that my desk now has a red file marked "Pestilence" where I keep all the tracking information pertinent to this plague year. Because such things might be of value to future historians charting the downfall of our civilization.

I've actually been fortunate insomuch as I managed to stave it off until last week despite my wife and all my coworkers being struck down. Give credit to the coffee. My immune system's a little hyperactive. Alas, I've been off the coffee for three straight days, and I'm hating it. Looking back at my journal, it seems I spent this exact same week last year doing much the same thing. What's up with that? Should I ask for this week off in advance next year?

C'est la vie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages to Type is a blog about books, writing and literary culture (with the occasional digression into coffee and the care and feeding of giant robots).